5 Helpful Air Conditioning Tips To Consider
We oftentimes take our air conditioning systems for granted and are rarely thankful for the comfort they provide. The US Department of Energy estimates that your air conditioning and heating system accounts for 43% of your monthly utility bill (as of 2015). So you might want to take things a little more seriously. Furthermore, their statistics have revealed that homeowners spend about $375 annually on their A/C systems to properly maintain and service them.
5 Helpful Tips to consider
If your air conditioning system is operating efficiently but you would like to keep your home cooler without breaking the bank, Karpouzis Commercial Refrigeration has a few helpful tips that will help you accomplish that:
- Change your air filters regularly – a dirty filter will cause your A/C unit to work harder, use more energy, and cost you more on your monthly utility bills whether it’s central air or a single unit mounted in your window. While you should change your air filters at 3-month intervals, you should still check them monthly.
- Let us develop a regular scheduled HVAC system maintenance plan – we specialize in the development of air conditioning maintenance and service plans so that you never have to worry about coming home to a comfortable living environment. We can customize a plan that is tailored to the specific needs of your household as well as the individuals living in it.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat if you haven’t already – you can turn the temp up during the day when no one is home and have it start cooling down so that you come home to a comfortable indoor environment. We recommend that you set your thermostat at 78° when you’re at home so that you strike a balance between comfort and energy efficiency. When used properly in the summer and winter, a programmable thermostat can save you up to an average of $150 annually.
- Purchase any Energy Star unit when replacing your existing system – remember, efficiency is priority #1 when you are replacing your old A/C unit. You will use 14% less energy based on Federal Government standards with an Energy Star central air conditioning system. While the average lifespan of an A/C system is 15 years, having a professional air conditioning technician perform regularly scheduled maintenance on a newer unit could extend its lifespan beyond the average. Additionally, you may qualify for a tax credit if you purchase and Energy Star unit.
- Schedule an annual inspection of your system – you should always rely on a professional air conditioning service provider to inspect and evaluate your central air system. Scheduling this on an annual basis will help you get through the cooling and heating seasons and ensure that your unit is operating efficiently. The technicians at KCR, Inc. can diagnose and identify any system inefficiencies that may exist so that you aren’t wasting money on your monthly utility bills.
Another way to help your air conditioning system work more efficiently is by increasing the number of plantings around your home. Most of the accumulated heat within a home is attributed to direct sunlight hitting the structure. Whether sunlight comes in through the roof or windows, it’s going to raise the interior temperature of your home. By planting leafy trees around your property, you will decrease the amount of sunlight that enters your home, thereby decreasing heat accumulation indoors.
Another consideration is utilizing mesh-like window screens or solar screens to clothe your windows and decrease the amount of solar energy entering your home by up to 70%. The US Department of Energy has proven that solar screens are very effective when mounted to windows on the east and west side of your home. Another option to consider is window films. These are metalized, transparent sheets that prevent heat from penetrating the window glass by reflecting beforehand.
Finally, if you have a fan speed adjustment on your thermostat, you should always have it set on the highest setting except on days with high humidity. If you would like more information regarding ways to make your air conditioning system more efficient, please contact Karpouzis Commercial Refrigeration today and speak with one of our specialists.